Industrial Leadership Graduate Certificate
(Previously Manufacturing Leadership)
Manufacturing and technical managers in today’s manufacturing environments must demonstrate multifaceted leadership and a high level of technical expertise in order to compete in a world-class manufacturing arena. The four courses in this certificate program provide a unique, but essential foundation for understanding and optimizing a manufacturing organization. While many courses in manufacturing focus on the mechanical operations and processes, this certificate focuses on maximizing the performance of the entire system. Achieving the highest levels of performance starts with design of products and systems, integrating the contributions of a complex network of suppliers, and coordinating production according to key constraints throughout the supply chain. Finally, the most effective route to achieving continuous improvement in this environment is the integrated application of Lean, Six Sigma, and Theory of Constraints.
Career Benefits and Advancement
This certificate provides manufacturing supervisors and managers with the knowledge and skills needed to be more effective in the workplace, or prepares those who wish to pursue those roles and advance their careers. When completed, you will understand and be able to implement the principles of
- Lean Build to Order and Mass Customization
- Lean Six Sigma Quality
- Lean Theory of Constraints (TOC)
- Operations Management
- Design for Manufacturability
Students must successfully complete four courses (12 credit hours). No prerequisites are required. Course descriptions and syllabi can be found on the Individual Courses page.
- E M 560 Integrated Supply Chain Management
- E M 538 Lean Tools for Systems Improvement
- E M 570 systems Improvement: Integrating TOC, Lean, and Six Sigma *
- One of :
- E M 568 Risk Analysis and Management
- E M 587 Managing Human Factors for Safety and Productivity
- E M 590 Leading Design and Innovation
* E M 526 Constraints Management can be used to fulfill the third requirement if it was taken before Fall 2021.
Minimum requirements for admission to the certificate program include:
- a bachelor’s degree
- 3.0 undergraduate GPA
- a personal statement
- a résumé
Because the certificates consist of regular graduate courses, admission to the graduate school is still necessary.